Sunday, January 2, 2011

Cloud Life Basics: Sending Attaching Google Docs to Gmail

One of the things I'm learning about this whole transition to a life in the cloud is I need to reorder my thinking.  I've become so used to how things are done when you have software installed on a local machine that I've come to think of that as the only way to do things.

One result of that is that the simplest things to do in the cloud sometimes escape me.  The other day, I wanted to send someone a document I'd created in Google docs.  Naturally, I logged onto Gmail, clicked "attach file" just as I would if I were using Outlook, and to my annoyance, found that I could only browse to my local computer and my UbuntuOne directory.

Well, what the...?  Why doesn't Gmail allow me to see my Google docs?

Well, as it turns out, there absolutely is a way to send Google docs via Gmail.  You just have to think of it the other way around.

From Google Docs, open the item you want to send, then click the down arrow beside the "Share" button and select "Email as Attachment."  Choose your recipients, edit your subject line if need by and add a message.  Click "Send" and Bob's your uncle!

It's so simple, I was amazed I hadn't figured it out right away, but it's just another example of how I'm having to re-learn how to get things done if I'm going to live in the cloud.

Hope this helps some of you!

If you have any suggestions or feedback, I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment