Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Life In The Cloud - It's Easier Than I Expected

I've been so happy with running Ubuntu 10.10 on my desktop (and not using any local storage, except to run the OS) that I decided to upgrade my Dell Mini netbook from Ubuntu 8.04 to Netbook 10.10.

The installer file couldn't initialize my wireless NIC, so I had to go wired at first, but after installation completed I was able to activate a disabled driver and get on wirelessly.

Chrome browser doesn't come packaged with the Ubuntu installation (they provided Firefox), so I downloaded Chrome and installed a few apps and extensions from the Chrome App Store. For now, I'm sticking mainly with apps and extensions from Google itself, but I did also install Box.Net to get an additional 5 GB of online storage in addition to my Google Docs and Windows Life Office space.

I also installed Quick Note, but it only stores notes locally, so I've stopped using that in favor of Springpad which stores your notes online so they can be accessed anywhere from any machine, which is the point of all this, isn't it?


After installing apps they show up on new tabs in Chrome as large icons (which can't be rearranged for now).  I've read posts by some people deriding those icons are mere links.  Yes, that's what they are, and that's the point. You're calling a web-based service or application.  When a user clicks on a program icon or shortcut, that's a link, too.  The only difference is the user of a locally installed application is clicking an icon that links to a locally installed resource.






Thanks for continuing to follow this blog. Please let me know what you think, or recommend your own tools for life in the cloud!

No comments:

Post a Comment